100ml red wine vinegar
1 red onion, thinly sliced
100g Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 pita or small khoubz, roughly torn
50g almonds, coarsely chopped
30g hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili flakes
200g organic baby spinach leaves
125g soft goats’ cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp Basbas Chilli & Lemon
½ tsp honey
Freshly ground black pepper
- To quickly pickle the red onion, place the vinegar, onion, and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well to combine. Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or so, then drain the vinegar and set aside.
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the pita pieces until crisp and golden. Add the almonds, hazelnuts, cumin, chilli flakes and continue to fry till they’re lightly toasted. Season with salt and black pepper and set aside to cool.
- To make the vinaigrette whisk together the lemon juice, Basbas, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and honey and season to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, red onion, and dates. Crumble over goats' cheese and sprinkle with the nuts and pita.
- Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.